Wednesday, September 3, 2008

My "Other" Son

No, I am not pregnant again! I wanted to brag a little on my "other" son who is now a graduate from Howard University's Law School. Jeremy was a sweet little boy that touched my heart many years ago (about 18 years) when he was a student in my 2nd grade class the first year I taught school. Jeremy was the type of kid that was every teacher's dream, just a pleasure to be around. He was well liked, smart, talented, athletic, and adorable! I will never forget when the 2nd grade was doing a school play and Jeremy brought his teacher's flowers for the performance. Jeremy stayed in touch with me throughout his elementary years even though he was transferred to another school due changes in boundary lines.

I remember one particular year that Jeremy was extra special to me, I am not sure he realized it. I had just moved into a house that ended up being about 6 houses down from his house (something I did not know at the time). It was a very difficult time in my life and sometimes Jeremy would just stop by and hang out with me and visit for awhile. I always enjoyed him stopping by and keeping me company. Jeremy was about 12 years old at the time. I only lived down the street from him for one year.

Jeremy went on to high school and excelled in everything he did. Again, he made me so proud (along with his parents)! I later moved on to Virginia after marrying Matt, of course Jeremy was at my wedding to wish us well.

About 3 years later I hear from Jeremy that he is graduating high school and will be attending Howard University in Washington D.C. I have to admit I was happier about his decision that his parents. It meant that I would get to be near him for the next four years. But, soon after his parents turned him over to us we found out we would be posted in Santiago, Chile. I was sad that we only spent 3 months in the same area!

Four years later we hear that Jeremy has graduated from Howard and luckily Matt was in Washington for training and was able to attend the graduation ceremony. I was in Chile and was not able to attend, but Matt represented me! We knew Jeremy would be attending law school the following fall, now 3 years later we are the proud parents of a Howard University Law Student.

I post this because I am so proud of him and his many accomplishments. I hope that my boys look up to their "older" brother because he has become exactly what I would hope for in my other three boys. This fall Jeremy will start working as an Attorney Advisor for the Postal Regulatory Commission (PRC) and is a deacon in a church in D.C. I know that I will always be in touch with Jeremy (and his parents), they have been such a blessing in my life!

2 comments:

nicolemarie said...

what a wonderful story kim! thanks for sharing. gave me goosebumps. btw, got the photo of A and R @ tennis....THANK YOU!!!! A loves it!

Unknown said...

Kim, you made me cry! What a nice story! How was the beach trip to El Salvador? Promise to fill you in on our lives soon. Give me your phone as soon as you have it!
Miss you, Guada