Friday, September 26, 2008

Just Ask

While visiting in the states this past summer a friend of mine mentioned that her church is always looking for mission projects that require sewing and that if I came across something while living in Honduras to let her know. A couple of weeks ago I was talking with a lady from the embassy who spends most of her time volunteering and helping out where she can. I mentioned that I was on the lookout for a project and asked if she had any ideas.

We came up with the idea to make small, lightweight blankets and pillowcases to give to children who live in a rehabiliation hospital for up to 6 months. While Reid was hospitalized back in August he received a pillow and pillowcase that he loved, he still uses it. That is how we came up with that idea.

She told me about the conditions of the hospital and the children as well. As you can imagine they are VERY poor. In helping my friend work out the details of the pillows, I was searching online for small pillows to just get an idea of the cost of the pillows and where they could buy them. I came across a website that sold exactly what I needed, so I thought I would just ask them for a discounted price or a donation.

I am very please to report that I heard from the company, http://www.country-air.com/ and this is what they said, "we will be happy to donate the 15 pillows". It is amazing that with so little effort on my part that someone was nice enough to contribute to this cause.

Now the project is rolling and I look forward to receiving these items and sharing them with the kids. I will post pictures and a full report when the project is complete.

No comments: