Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Bundles of Blessings - Baby Blanket Drive

This past week while I was visiting my sister we were talking about the recent mission project that I facilitated between my friend and the rehabilitation ward at Hospital San Felipe. While I there delivering the blankets and pillows I took a tour of the the maternity ward. Talking with the nurses gave me some indication of what they needed. Basically, they said they would take anything but the one thing that caught my eye and pulled on my sister's heart as I was telling her the story was the fact that they didn't have enough baby blankets to wrap the newborns. I saw one baby that was wrapped in a fitted bed sheet. After sharing the pictures and telling her that story she came up with Bundles of Blessings, basically a baby blanket drive to supply the hospital with enough baby blankets for the newborns. A good start would be about 50 small receiving blankets that the hospital would keep.

Hospital San Felipe's Maternity Ward. The babies stay in the bed with the moms, there is no real nursery while they are there.


This newborn was wrapped in a fitted bed sheet.

Then I shared with her the needs of Hospital Escuela and a recent email that I had received. This is a public hospital that is very hard on the heart, I have not been there yet because I am not sure if I am ready to see what it is really like. The email was from a Red Cross volunteer who puts together little "goody bags" for the moms to take home with their newborn. One of the items in the bag is a baby blanket. The email said that some of the women leave the hospital with their babies wrapped in rags, paper towels, or newspapers. Bundles of Blessings will donate blankets to help support the work of the Red Cross.

I look forward to seeing my sister's project take off and being able to share with her (and you) the work that is being done here in Honduras by those who have so much to those who have so little. If you would like to take part in the project please feel free to email me and I will send you my address so you can send baby blankets our way. Or I can send you my sister's mailing address and you could send her $6.00 to buy a package of 5 blankets. Nothing pleases her more that to buy baby stuff. The amount of blankets is endless and we would never have enough, there are approximately 50 babies born a day at Hospital Escuela.

While doing a little research on Hospital Escuela I came upon two blogs that give you an idea of the conditions at this hospital. I will warn you that it is tough to read.

http://havemorecake.blogspot.com/2007/10/hospital-escuela-in-tegucigalpa.html
http://ashinhonduras.blogspot.com/2008/09/hospital-escuela.html


2 comments:

nancyd said...

This pulls at my heart strings -
I'll be contacting your sister, Kim - Ican't bring myself to click on the links just yet...
Thanks for allowing the Lord to use you; and for sharing that blessing my allowing us to participate, too.

jjrs06 said...

Hey Kim!! I was just catching up on your blog - thank you for doing this by the way, we sure enjoy keeping up with you this way.
Needless to say, we would love to help with some baby blankets. I am sure we have many around here that our kids have outgrown. :( Do they need to be brand new or ?? Also, would you mind emailing me - I have no idea what your email address is anymore and I couldn't find a way to contact you through the blog site. I would love to know what is easiest for you...sending blankets or just sending money?!
Thanks so much!
Joanna