Thursday, October 30, 2008

To Market, To Market We Go!

Every Friday and Saturday there is a fruit and vegetable market. A few girls took me there for the first time, I was amazed at all the fruits and veggies they had available. When I first arrived I was thinking I really didn't need anything, but by the end I had my share. It is impossible to walk through the aisles and not pick up a few things.

This is not the place you pull out your cell phone, but I couldn't resist calling home and getting a shopping list. This also a place you don't pull out your camera either. I could not leave there without sneaking a few pictures and then quickly shoving my camera back into my pocket. I did make it home with both my cell phone, fruits and vegetables for the week, and some priceless photos. It was worth the risk of losing the phone and camera for the beautiful photos.

While at the market there are young boys waiting for you at the entrance with their homemade wheelbarrows. They will follow you around and you put your purchases in the wheelbarrows, which can get quite heavy if you hauled them around yourself. I felt horrible about having this young boy push my things around. But then I quickly came to the realization that I was giving this boy work which he so desperately needed. Spending a few hours with 4 American women is like winning the lottery, we gave the kid snacks along the way and a hefty tip when we were done.

Our helper for the day.


The many aisles of fruits and vegetables.


My most favorite photo, I should win an award for this one!
This little girl was counting out beans to put in the bag to get them ready to sell.

The berry lady.

No comments: