I had the honor of going along with a few other Red Cross volunteers out to a public school to deliver school supplies. The school was about an hour outside of Tegucigalpa, on a very rough dirt road that led us up the mountain. The school has 21 kids ages 6 to 12 years old. They are all taught by one teacher in one room with no running water, electricity was just put in a couple of months ago. These kids go to school from February to November from 7:00-1:00. I am sure there are many more kids that could be attending that school, not that there is room for them, but many of the kids have to stay home and help their families at a very young age.
While visiting the school I was informed of some of the many, many needs the school has. One of them is food. The government does have a feeding program that provides lunch for the kids. But as you can imagine that doesn't work like it should. They (I am guessing the teacher, who I am sure doesn't have a car) has to go into Tegus and pick up the food three times a year. The amount they give them will last about 20 school days. They give them rice, beans, and flour to make tortillas. A parent from the "neighborhood" prepares the food. The teacher shared that they don't always have food and they need more. These kids come to school at 7:00 without breakfast and then no lunch as well.
On the ride home you can imagine what was going through my head as to how I could possible help financially to buy this food that they need. We did the figures and estimated that it would cost about $50.00 per month to feed these 21 kids. We also talked about coming up with about $200.00 to take the kids into the city to the Children's Museum and Burger King for lunch. We are sure none of these kids have even left their mountain, much less go into Tegus.
I am considering doing some type of fundraiser, not exactly sure how to do quite yet. I would like to raise $500.00 (really only $400.00 now, a friend donated $100.00) to pay for the "field trip" to the city and to feed them lunches for 6 months.
If this is something you feel like you would like to help with please feel free to contribute whatever you want. I am sorry to say I can't offer any tax deductions, it is just a gift from the heart. I will be totally involved in buying the food, delivering the supplies, and going on the museum/Burger King trip. I look forward to seeing this happen and feeling like I was able to contribute just by asking around and seeing what I can come up with.
While visiting the school I was informed of some of the many, many needs the school has. One of them is food. The government does have a feeding program that provides lunch for the kids. But as you can imagine that doesn't work like it should. They (I am guessing the teacher, who I am sure doesn't have a car) has to go into Tegus and pick up the food three times a year. The amount they give them will last about 20 school days. They give them rice, beans, and flour to make tortillas. A parent from the "neighborhood" prepares the food. The teacher shared that they don't always have food and they need more. These kids come to school at 7:00 without breakfast and then no lunch as well.
On the ride home you can imagine what was going through my head as to how I could possible help financially to buy this food that they need. We did the figures and estimated that it would cost about $50.00 per month to feed these 21 kids. We also talked about coming up with about $200.00 to take the kids into the city to the Children's Museum and Burger King for lunch. We are sure none of these kids have even left their mountain, much less go into Tegus.
I am considering doing some type of fundraiser, not exactly sure how to do quite yet. I would like to raise $500.00 (really only $400.00 now, a friend donated $100.00) to pay for the "field trip" to the city and to feed them lunches for 6 months.
If this is something you feel like you would like to help with please feel free to contribute whatever you want. I am sorry to say I can't offer any tax deductions, it is just a gift from the heart. I will be totally involved in buying the food, delivering the supplies, and going on the museum/Burger King trip. I look forward to seeing this happen and feeling like I was able to contribute just by asking around and seeing what I can come up with.
The kids with their new school supplies.
The kids posing with the Red Cross volunteers.
The road leading to the school.
Inside the school, the man in the green was a parent who came to greet us.

No comments:
Post a Comment