Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Decision Time

I am happy to say that I am done with my temporary teaching position, and I survived! Fifth grade was a challenge for me (the planning part) but I LOVED the kids. They were awesome and I miss them already.

The good news is they have a job for me next year. I have to decide if this is something I want to do full time for the final year we are here in Honduras. Big decision and one I need to make in the next two weeks. I would love some comments on what you think.

Pros:
-I really like the school, faculty, and kids.
-It is 3 minutes from my house.
-There is nothing to do if I am not working.
-I don't have to work, but the extra money (small amount) would be nice in case we have to go back to Washington the following year.
-The school hours are 7:30-2:30
-It is only for one year.
-Fills in the gap on my resume since I haven't taught in 7 years.
-Nice feeling when people ask you what you do and you tell them you teach at The American School. They are impressed and interested in the school.

Cons:
-Being a working mom with 3 small kids is tough, no matter how many maids you have!
-The opening is in 4th grade and possibly one in 2nd grade. I would really have to work super hard in fourth grade, I have never taught that before and I prefer the younger grades! A lot of people want that 2nd grade position.
-I miss out some alone time with Cole (12:00-1:30) each day.
-I could just be a maternity substitute, work without the pressure.
-My kids are at another school, they didn't mind that I was working but I felt I missed out on some things.
-It was REALLY hard to walk in the door around 4:00 and the kids are waiting for you and you have about 10 minutes before we leave for after school activities. Then home and starting on homework. No down time for me at all. This is probably the biggest issue I have.

2 comments:

nancyd said...

Hmmm...the "pros" seem to be about Kim....the "cons" seem to be about the impact on your family.
Let me see....yeah, ok, I'm pretty sure the "cons" win! STAY HOME WITH THOSE PRECIOUS BOYS AND ENJOY THEM WHILE YOU HAVE THEM! This time goes by so quickly (well, most of the time anyway) and you can't get it back. Your career will always be there.

Unknown said...

Yeah maybe just go in to being the maternity substitute if you want. I'm sure you would love it if you went back to teach for one year, but the boys are young and that's the best time to spend with them. I know we all miss them here!